[TAP] sync vs async

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 9 11:01:00 PDT 2009

Thank you Doug, for this insightful and constructive message.

I for one believe in the open systems approach that you describe, the
idea of a toolkit of services that can be chained together, the idea of
building our system gradually and with flexibility.

As for the other way, well, twice in my past life I have been involved
with a 'big system' that has failed. Each time it was that same reasons:
failure to involve customers, inadequate use cases, too much system for
them to learn, emphasizing capability over robustness, and such a late
delivery that customers had already built alternative ways to get their
work done.

As Doug points out, our customers have an alternative to the VO: we are
like Travelocity/Expedia, an integrator of data sources, we are not a
telescope, which original data. So we need to be attractive to
customers. Starting now.

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology