[TAP] sync vs async

Linde, A.E. ael13 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 02:01:09 PST 2009

Hi Doug, I wasn’t commenting on the case for or against any aspect of the standard, just pointing out that your language was tending to the emotive rather than discursive which I thought might be unhelpful.

I completely agree that the standards need to address the use cases of all the projects involved in the IVOA. But we also need to be open to alternatives about how those use cases are addressed. (Strictly on a personal level, I’d argue for an asynch standard as the baseline which can then be wrapped in a synch-like library for developers who need that, but I’ve not been following the arguments here closely enough to make such a case.)

T.