[TAP] sync vs async - time outs

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Mar 4 08:00:16 PST 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 07:48:19 Tom McGlynn wrote:
> I agree with what you had said more elegantly in your earlier message.
> My point was to emphasize my sense that that people were saying
> asynchronous calls somehow obviated the need for careful timeout

The UWS spec already has a mechanism for specifying/negotiating how long the
job will actually be allowed to run, which covers the TIMEOUT behaviour for
async jobs. This is independent of a (larger) time that the service will keep
the job (and results) before destroying it (and the result or error
document).

Otherwise, DAL generally uses MAXREC to specify "how much work" but I think we
all agree that this does not capture the it very well at all.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7