[TAP] sync vs async - time outs

Dave Morris dave at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 3 11:26:52 PST 2009

Gerard wrote:

> Guy wrote:
> > However, I see no reason why a TAP installation that always operates
> > quickly has to have the asynchronous mode. I would be happy for the
> > asynchronous interfaces to be made optional; but only on the
> > understanding that most TAP services will need them and that software
> > authors be prepared to add them when that need is discovered.
> >
> I support this, but think we should let a service specify what they
> think is "quickly".

In practice 'quickly' is controlled by the settings on all the various
network routers, switches and proxies handling the connection between
client and server.
A database server may take 25 seconds to think about a complex query,
but if one of the network switches handling the connection thinks 20
seconds is an appropriate timeout, the response will never arrive.

Dave