[TAP] sync vs async

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Mar 3 01:48:45 PST 2009

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Patrick Dowler wrote:

> In cases where it works, sync is easier for the client, but I think we  agree
> that it cannot be made robust in the general case. Async handles the general
> case; this is why async is required. For the small extra work and utility, it
> was deemed it simpler for everyone if sync was also required (plus the oddity
> about VOSI requests noted above).

I'll note SAMP's experience for information here:

Considering experience from the PLASTIC model in which the only way to
receive a message response was synchronous, we decided for (PLASTIC's
successor) SAMP that the server (hub) had to provide asynchronous
communications because of the greater robustness and scalability
that approach gives.
However, considering that for some use contexts synchronous use
would be adequate and a great deal easier for clients, we added
a synchronous facade, at not much implementation cost, for those
who wish to use it.

I'm not necessarily saying that the cases are similar enough to
warrant drawing conclusions from one to the the other, but I
think this line of thinking made sense for SAMP, and I think
it makes sense for TAP.

Mark