relative fluxes

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 29 18:34:52 PDT 2009

Hi Petr -

Thanks, that helps a lot.  There are many ways I could respond to this.
I agree we would like to make it easier for small data providers to
publish data and we would like to help get simple spectra into the
VO, provided minimal quality concerns are met.  In the age of big
surveys however, we have massive spectral data collections which are
uniformly processed, with good metadata, and many more on the way.
I have to think that supporting these should be our top priority.
A simpler solution (toolkit or upload tool) may be sufficient to deal
with spectra from small legacy data providers.

The other side of the problem is client spectral tools, which I agree
is a major issue not yet adequately addressed.  In the case of a big
system like IRAF this can be solved by adding SSA support, which is
already planned.  Specview, SPLAT, etc. already have some support and
it is likely to get better as more data comes online.  We have only
been able to properly register SSA services for a few months now,
plus resources are limited and folks have other things to do, so it
is to be expected that client integration will take a while longer.

>>> and in theory,  could be expanded to support SEDs, light curves,
>>> echelle spectra, etc.

SSA can do all these other cases, with minor evolution

> sure - the DAL effort is based on this idea and the SDM will probably become
> the base for general data set description (am I right Doug ?)

Not the SDM per se, but the Generic Dataset or Observation data
model upon which most of it is based.  By definition this applies to
all data.  The SDM inherits this but in addition addresses general
spectrophotometric data, including spectra/timeSeries/SED.

> The key question is - what is proper VO  metadata ? The full char, provenance
> and curation, all STC ?
> Show me service supporting all of this !

Of course there aren't any services that provide everything, but
neither is it required to provide all of this metadata.  SSA specifies
a minimum recommended complement of metadata ("should" provide),
which is a subset of the full model, intended to reflect what is
most important for typical analysis scenarios.  The reality is that
effective analysis does not require more than a typical subset of
the full model.  Most analysis gets by with even less than that.
Nonetheless the full model should be more comprehensive, without
becoming overly complex, so that we have a standard way to specify
the metadata in cases where it is useful for the data in question.

> want it ! Very few people care about sigma errors . They want to see the
> spectrum shape, the background should be substracted already.

I agree that often this is all that is needed, e.g., to identify the
object type.  Depends upon what one is doing.  There are folks who
refuse to take any data seriously unless error information is provided:
this was a major criticism of IRAF back when those 1D-Image spectra
were being produced.

 	- Doug