relative fluxes

Frank Valdes valdes at noao.edu
Mon Jun 22 10:02:12 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have not been active in this area since 2006 when I was doing a
trial implementation of the SSA Data Model of that era.  This was for
the Indo/US Coude Feed Spectral Library.  In that library the
instrumentation was not adequate for absolute calibration and so we
provided spectra that were calibrated to another (lower resolution)
library of spectra continua.  I debated the question of what flux
units really mean for the large class of spectra that can't be said
to be absolutely calibrated.  What I decided to do, and again I am
probably behind the times and this was before this recent attempt to
formalize the units syntax, was to use the data model accuracy.
Below are the data model fields for the flux (in one of the formats -
text).

# Spectrum.Char.FluxAxis.name="Flux"
# Spectrum.Char.FluxAxis.Unit="erg cm**(-2) s**(-1) Angstrom**(-1)"
# Spectrum.Char.FluxAxis.UCD="phot.flux.density;em.wavelength"
# Spectrum.Char.FluxAxis.Accuracy.Calibration="RELATIVE"

So what I decided was that something needed to define the nature of
the calibration and the accuracy.calibration seemed appropriate.  I
was thinking of terms like RELATIVE and CONTINUUM NORMALIZED.  In my
case since the continuum shape was relatively correct by calibration
to another lower resolution library, and has numbers which include
1.0 at the tie point used, the calibration is relative.  Since the
continuum shape from the other library was supposed to be calibrated
to standard stars a flux unit seems appropriate.

I don't think the particular debate being conducted is only about
units but about how to convey the nature of the calibration.  So
people can take what I considered for whatever it is worth.

Yours,
Frank Valdes, NOAO

P.S. I got as far as implementing the data access protocol but never
finished the SSA query.  So there is still no VO service to my
spectral library.