relative fluxes

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Mon Jun 22 08:29:52 PDT 2009

> This seems like a viable solution - the question is whether this is a problem
> that needs solving, its contingent priority, and whether we yet have a
> complete description of the problem.

I think the proper explanation of what is in the spectrum is crucial for
all VO science. The VO tools need to understand if the flux is RELATIVE (I
suppose the best case is that of jesus - it does not change shape) or
ABSOLUTE - you may directly compare with model or NORMALIZED (in sense
RECTIFIED) - than you can compare line profiles or measure RV or EW ( by
definition you cannot measure EW on unrectified spectrum).

If you get spectrum absolutley calibrated you have to rectify it
(normalize) first to be able to compare with another NORMALIZED spectrum.
FOr VO tools it  mean they have to support this type of operation spectra
obtained by SSA before being able to overplot them.

> How is this used in the literature?  What fraction of columns/values in VO
> DBs/images/catalogs require this?  Is there a need to support an offset as
> well as a scaling factor?

I do not know about Miguel's case but in case of RECTIFIED spectra its
tahe 90% of optical ground base spectroscopy (mostly processed by IRAF or
MIDAS).

The absolute flux calibration is quite rare for high resolution spectra
and quite common for low resolution (as the people want to estimate SED on
resolution like 3000-5000 (SRP to be precise). For higher resolution you
are interested in seeing lines in detail - measure EW, RV and see profile
changes - for this you need RECTIFICATION.
Special case are the data for hunting planets - extremely high precision
of RV (using I2 cells or dual fibers for simultaneous calibration) - than
the cross correlation is applied (again of rectified spectra or on
original as come from pipeline).

In case of space instruments the absolute calibration is quite common but
even on STIS people look for line profiles on RECTIFIED.

> In short, are there domain use cases for this?

These were just examples from my experience of optical instrument
scientist. proper poll might be [erhaps needed in future to get some
ratios - but I think the VO should suppose all cases as they represent
most of the science everyday done.

Petr

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *