relative fluxes

Jesus Salgado Jesus.Salgado at sciops.esa.int
Mon Jun 22 07:04:29 PDT 2009

Hi Sebastien,

I am almost agree with:
> unit="1.23e-4 erg/cm**2/s/Angstrom"  (or whatever the reference value)

In my view, this solution is more useful than setting a "n/a" value to
the unit field. If we do that, we are loosing a lot of information about
the continuum shape that is still present for spectra where the relative
flux is the result to divide the spectra by a single reference value.

A totally different case is when the spectra is normalized to the
continuum as the continuum shape information is already lost.

The problem I see with this solution is that (if I understand Alberto's
use case) the reference value looks unknown or lost.

In order to cover this case, we were thinking in something like:

scaleSI: 	n/a
(scale factor unknown)
dimEquation: 	ML-1T-3
(F(lambda) flux type)

This is something we are already using in VOSpec for TSAP services.
Translated in a "non-compatible with unit string standards" string, it
would be something like:
unit="n/a erg/cm**2/s/Angstrom"

For VOSpec, this kind of spectra has a flag so the user could normalize
them to a flux value they consider, so it can be compared with absolute
normalized spectra as it is done between observed spectra and models.

Of course if the value is known both unit="1.23e-4 erg/cm**2/s/Angstrom"
or scaleSI=1.23e-4 would be, in my view, perfectly acceptable and
correct.

Regards,
Jesus

Jesus J. SALGADO                       Jesus.Salgado at sciops.esa.int

ESAC Science Archives Team
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
European Space Agency (ESA)

European Space Agency/European Space Astronomy Centre
P.O. Box 78
28691 Villanueva de la Canada                 Tel: +34 91 813 12 71
Madrid - SPAIN                                Fax: +34 91 813 13 08

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.