relative fluxes

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jun 22 05:48:49 PDT 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 4:46 AM, Derriere Sebastien wrote:

>  Then it hit me: that's the same as expressing a mass in Solar masses!
>  So thinking of a spectra normalized to a reference, value, the unit
> could be this reference value! With Alberto's example:
> value=[anything from 0.0 to 0.06]
> unit="1.23e-4 erg/cm**2/s/Angstrom"  (or whatever the reference value)

This seems like a viable solution - the question is whether this is a
problem that needs solving, its contingent priority, and whether we
yet have a complete description of the problem.

How is this used in the literature?  What fraction of columns/values
in VO DBs/images/catalogs require this?  Is there a need to support an
offset as well as a scaling factor?

In short, are there domain use cases for this?

> My 2cents

An even better example :-)

Rob