TAP 1.0: sync vs async

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 17 13:13:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Douglas Tody wrote:

> Obviously, SSA is the first of these.  What TAP has added is the
> pattern for how we do async as well as sync (which is great to have).

I should also mention SLAP, which follows the DAL2 service model and
is supposed to be in RFC by now as well.  Go read the related OpenGIS
docs, SSA, SLAP, the DAL2 arch doc, and the SIAV2 draft when it comes
out to get a better idea of what we have thus far invested in this
and the other basic technology used in these interfaces.  There may
be others by now as well which I have forgotten as I write this.

Aside from presenting a uniform interface pattern to client
applications and summer school students, having standards like this is
quite important for both service frameworks and client side software.
In a family of services like those in DAL, about 90% of the basic
service interface is the same for all members of the family of
services.