TAP 1.0: sync vs async

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 01:52:29 PDT 2009

On 17 Jul 2009, at 00:24, Douglas Tody wrote:

> To a client application getCapabilities is a service operation just
> as much as eg queryData.  They should be provided in the same way.
> We should be able to just compose the URL with a standard pattern with
> no special cases.  Providing direct access to a static file as Guy
> suggests is something we want to enable, but this is easy to provide
> with any of these schemes, and it is nice to have a scheme which can
> also enable dynamic generation of the Capabilities, table metadata,
> or whatever from more fundamental metadata.  What we have now works
> for all of these use cases.   I could go on - this is a brief rehash
> of the earlier discussions.

Actually, I don't find it at all easy to implement VOSI table and VOSI
capabilities
with a document once they are conflated with a TAP resource - i.e. if
both
VOSI and TAP things are in the same web-resource and distinguished
only by
a query string. I can do it in Java using internal redirection, or I
can do it by
redirecting the client, but both are extra, unnecessary machinery.

Conversely, I find it easier to implement VOSI resources as a dynamic
services
if they are separate from other resources. I have done so in some of
the AstroGrid
software, by adding a simple servlet that just does VOSI. If I have to
bundle
VOSI generation into a TAP servlet it will be extra work and unwanted
complication.

Guy