TAP1.0 Comments

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 15 06:16:02 PDT 2009

Hi Paul -

If we need this kind of integrator capability I am sure we can find
a way to provide it; it is just that it may be that TAP is not the
right interface for this.  It is fairly fundamental for a table query
interface to return a table result.

I thought the main point here was that it was hopeless to query all
8000 tables looking for data in a small region.  If we first find all
tables with data in the small region then probably the 8000 goes to a
much smaller number which can be queried individually without breaking
the relational model and complicating the TAP interface even further.
Personally if I had a client application that needed to do this I think
it would be easier to get the contents of each individual table with
a separate small query, rather than have to use additional software
to extract the tables from a VOTable container (most VOTable clients
cannot deal directly with multiple tables).

Francois - can you please clarify?  Would one of the solutions I
proposed provide what you want, or is something more required?
Perhaps it would help to stop talking about TAP and instead back up
and describe the use-case more directly.

 	- Doug