TAP WD 1.0: single result/single table/single file?

Alberto Micol amicol.ivoa at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 10:36:42 PDT 2009

In paragraph 2.2.2 (towards the end):

 > Successful TAP queries always produce a single _result_, [...]

Hence it should be a *must*. (picky)

In par. 2.7.1 (first sentence):

 > The result of a data query or a metadata query *must* be a single
_table_.

Indeed it is a must. Worth putting a forward reference in 2.2.2
pointing to 2.7.1?

Now the main point is: should it be a single "result" or a single
"table"?
And what is a "table" in this context?

The doubt is the following:

Is a VOTABLE with multiple TABLEs and RESOURCEs inside
considered a valid single "table" ?

May it should read: a single "file" ?

This actually came from a chat with Francois Bonnarel who reads 2.7.1
as if
only a single TABLE within the resulting VOTABLE is allowed,
while my interpretation is that a single VOTable (or whatever format)
must be produced, leaving complete freedom on what it contains:
it could be a FITS MEF with a BINTABLE in extension 1, and then a
IMAGE in extension 2, etc.
Who's right? ;-)

Thanks for the clarification,

Alberto