TAP WD 1.0: disentangling query types and query languages

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Jul 10 09:33:47 PDT 2009

Sure, that's an easy change and better organised as well :)

On Friday 10 July 2009 09:12:45 Alberto Micol wrote:
> Dear TAP Authors,
>
> the "1.1 Query Types" paragraph mentions three different kinds of
> queries: data/metadata/vosi
> but then one reads:
>
> 1.1.1 Data queries
> 1.1.2 Metadata queries
> 1.1.3 VOSI
> 1.1.4 ADQL queries
> 1.1.5 PQL queries
> 1.1.6 Other query languages
>
> I find that misleading.
> Even more so given the fact that ADQL and PQL are both able to perform
> Data and Metadata queries.
>
> The type of query as nothing to do with the language used to perform
> such queries,
> those two concepts should not get intermixed.
>
> May I suggest the following structure:
>
> 1.1 Query types
>     1.1.1 data ...
>     1.1.2 metadata ...
>
> 1.2 Query languages
>     1.2.1 ADQL
>     1.2.2 PQL
>     1.2.3 Other query languages
>
> 1.3 Query execution
>
> etc.
>
> ?
>
> Thanks,
> Alberto

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7