separating TAP and query languages

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:00:02 PST 2009

While you're at it, could you correct the spelling of STC-S?
It's a dash, not a slash.
It's an old request, but somehow, this never got corrected...

Thanks,

  - Arnold

Patrick Dowler wrote:

> I took a quick stab at separating the param query language from the TAP spec
> and I think the result is quite clean and encouraging. I tried with normative
> text and examples to show how PQL would be used in TAP. There are some loose
> ends remaining but it is workable and gives more or less the same actual
> interface that TAP 0.31 described.
>
> The main change is that REQUEST no longer distinguishes the query language:
> there is one value for doing a query (imaginatively named "doQuery") and the
> 3 VOSI-related request values. This remains consistent with DAL2. If the
> value of REQUEST=doQuery, then the caller must also specify LANG, which is
> where the language is set (e.g. LANG=ADQL as before, but now also LANG=PQL,
> with language version optionally embedded in the LANG value). All remaining
> parameters depend on the value of LANG.
>
> Draft documents are posted on
>
> http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/TableAccess
>
> --
>
> Patrick Dowler
> Tel/T?l: (250) 363-0044
> Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
> National Research Council Canada
> 5071 West Saanich Road
> Victoria, BC V9E 2M7
>
> Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
> Conseil national de recherches Canada
> 5071, chemin West Saanich
> Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu