resuming progress on TAP

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 10 11:39:26 PST 2009

Hi Arnold -

Then why do you suppose none of the existing (already fully functional)
NVO TAP prototypes which implemented PQ this past summer, did not
follow this approach you suggest and do it on top of ADQL?  Native SQL
and local spatial indexing mechanisms were indeed used (very easily),
but ADQL, no.  What you describe is merely theoretically possible.
In an actual service implementation it is much easier and more
robust to have both at the same level and sharing the same back-end
processing.  There are many issues, for example would you really want
to require a full up ADQL-based table metadata query capability just
to be able to provide the basic, much more constrained table metadata
queries such as PQ defines?

 	- Doug