resuming progress on TAP

Keith Noddle ktn at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 21:22:59 PST 2009

> One way to approach this would be to follow the same strategy that the VOQL
> group did when separating ADQL and TAP: we could specify the "DAL
> parameter-based query language" in a separate document that goes through the
> standards process. It would be usable (referenced) by all DAL services. The
> TAP spec would refer to the ADQL spec as a required language and allow for
> use of other languages.
>
> Mechanically, the TAP service metadata would have to describe which query
> languages and versions are supported, but we have to do that in any case.
I agree. I like that it frees up the option to relatively easily add
other optional querying capabilities (XQuery for object databases/other
XML data resources, maybe?) at some point in the future.

> This would decouple the TAP and param-query specs, allowing each to move
> forward at whatever pace can be sustained. It would result in a single TAP
> specification and there would be no particular need to make a new version
> once param is complete. It would also benefit other DAL service
> specifications to have a common spec for param query that can be referenced
> rather than just copying it from one service spec to the next.
This is an improvement on my suggestion, thank you for making it.
Working towards a common spec for param based querying makes a lot of
sense from the perspective of all the so-called "Simple" access
protocols, laying the groundwork for future standards

You have articulated two very powerful concepts here and I think this
approach has much merit - more than my original, certainly. It would
help to hear comments from other interested parties. Right now I am
concerned that the debate is crystallised around the same old names - an
injection of fresh ideas would be most welcome.

Keith.

--
Keith Noddle                    Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1894
AstroGrid Project manager       Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Leicester                       Email:  ktn at star.le.ac.uk
LE1 7RH, UK                     Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org