resuming progress on TAP

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 9 16:26:00 PST 2009

On Sunday 08 February 2009 19:27:19 Robert Hanisch wrote:
> We can tweak the presentation, but it is essential, I think, to present
> ADQL and PARAM together as alternative query languages, just as Pat has
> very nicely described.  ADQL is required, PARAM is optional.  This was
> agreed in Trieste.

One way to approach this would be to follow the same strategy that the VOQL
group did when separating ADQL and TAP: we could specify the "DAL
parameter-based query language" in a separate document that goes through the
standards process. It would be usable (referenced) by all DAL services. The
TAP spec would refer to the ADQL spec as a required language and allow for
use of other languages.

Mechanically, the TAP service metadata would have to describe which query
languages and versions are supported, but we have to do that in any case.

> Francois and Markus have raised some important technical questions.  These
> need to be addressed and resolved.

I think this would also (potentially) address one of the issues raised by
Markus: param-query can be a pretty complex thing and we may benefit from
thinking about it and specifying it explicitly. It is easy to think of
param-query as a simple thing, but in many ways it provides a higher level of
abstraction that ADQL and I feel it deserves careful thought and design.

This would decouple the TAP and param-query specs, allowing each to move
forward at whatever pace can be sustained. It would result in a single TAP
specification and there would be no particular need to make a new version
once param is complete. It would also benefit other DAL service
specifications to have a common spec for param query that can be referenced
rather than just copying it from one service spec to the next.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7