do something useful and simple first

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Feb 6 07:35:20 PST 2009

I claim that the part of the TAP protocol about ADQL queries is already
available to our customers. They can go to IPAC or ESO or wherever, read
about catalog metadata, form their query, get results. There is no added
advantage to a universal approach unless you can build a single query
and send it many places. But this is not true, because each query has to
be built by a human for each catalog -- because the human has to
understand the meaning of the attributes. Therefore nothing is saved by
having a unified query interface, because each query still needs to be
hand-made by a human after reading the metadata. You can't ask catalogs
blindly for objects with Vmag<18, because most catalogs don't have Vmag!
Therefore doing complex ADQL queries is a facility that is COMPLEX to
implement, COMPLEX to standardize, and doesn't give our customers
anything that they will value.

However, there is a very simple query that can be universally applied
across may data centers and catalogs -- the cone search. This is because
every astronomical catalog has RA and Dec. The really useful extension
to this, that IMHO should be first and center of the TAP effort, is
"multicone" simply an extension of this, so that multiple cones can be
sent all at once. This facility is the thing in TAP that is both SIMPLE
to implement, SIMPLE to standardize, and USEFUL TO CUSTOMERS, and it is
continually blocked out because first we have to do something both
complex and of little value.

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology