Single or collection resources

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 03:14:02 PDT 2009

Hi Markus (and DAL-WG),

I'm working on the upgrade to the AstroGrid DSA/catalogue product to
make it into a TAP implementation. What I've been doing the last few
days bears on the single/multiple-registration issue.

We support (in the forth-coming minor release) separate registration
of each catalogue and also registration of all catalogues as one
resource. Separation makes it simpler to use one catalogue;
combination allows more joins. (In a DSA installation, all catalogues
are within one RDBMS, so cross-catalogue joins are possible if the
service knows to do them.)

These separate registrations are on different IVORNs. If you have
a base service A containing catalogues x, y and z, you can register
all of these:

ivo://whatever/A
ivo://whatever/A/x
ivo://whatever/A/y
ivo://whatever/A/z

Each of those resources is a service registration. We don't use
data-collection resources because we need to provide the table metadata
with the service and with the service registration.

Considering the base service A and catalogue x from the example above,
we have these endpoints

http://whatever/A/TAP/sync
http://whatever/A/TAP/async
http://whatever/A/VOSI/capabilities
http://whatever/A/VOSI/tables
http://whatever/A/VOSI/availability
http://whatever/A/VOSI/capabilities?COLLECTION=x
http://whatever/A/VOSI/tables?COLLECTION=x

i.e. the VOSI resources are parameterized by the catalogue/data-
collection name
but the TAP resources are not. Downloading the parameterized VOSI
resource
gets you the relevant sub-set of the metadata.

The TAP-mandated VOSI endpoints are redirected internally to the ones
above e.g.:

http://whatever/A/TAP/sync?REQUEST=getCpabilities -> http://whatever/A/VOSI/capabilities

Cheers,
Guy