[TABLE] Re: TAP1.0 Comments

Alberto Micol amicol.ivoa at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 02:58:30 PDT 2009

On 12 Aug 2009, at 11:00, Guy Rixon wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2009, at 09:45, Alberto Micol wrote:

>>> The issue of multi-position queries is really a PQL issue;
>>
>> mmmh... are you saying that I cannot upload my table of favourite
>> objects to search for,
>> and use the full power of ADQL to specify more constraints?
>>
>> Alberto
>
> You can, but you would then have to express the position constraints
> in ADQL too.

Exactly what I had in mind.

> You can't mix PQL and ADQL in the same query. At least, TAP makes no
> stipulation that
> all implementations support this, so you can't assume it for an
> arbitrary service, and
> doesn't specify a way to denote support in a capability.

Nop, I do not want to mix things. But are you saying that UPLOAD is
purely a PQL feature?
Or otherwise what is that makes you think I wanted to mix PQL and ADQL
in the same query?

> Of course, if POS, SIZE and REGION were defined to be part of TAP
> rather than part of PQL then
> we could have more freedom and function.

It would be nice, but that would require all languages to support
them, and this is probably a too strong
constraint.

> Cheers,
> Guy