Single or collection resources

Robert Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Thu Aug 6 03:15:16 PDT 2009

I would just add that you can put plenty of text in the description metadata
element to make it clear that your collection includes data of certain
types, and use the other metadata tags for instrument names, the subject
element for object types (fine to have more than one).  The philosophy
behind the registry is to be inclusive, at least in my view.  Users see
resources that may be of interest, and winnow things down by examining the
metadata.

More often than not, I think people are not finding relevant data in the
registry because the data providers have not provided very thorough
metadata.  And given that data providers are already quite minimalist in
their metadata, moving toward more individual resources or adding more
metadata tags is not likely to make things better.  So I remain in favor of
good quality aggregate collections, with complete metadata descriptions in
the registry.

cheers,
Bob