[TAP] draft 0.42

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Apr 29 04:56:41 PDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Francois Ochsenbein wrote:

> At the next meeting in Strasbourg, would that be the right place ?
> Will you attend ?
>
> Cheers, francois
>

> >To clarify:
> >
> >On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Francois Ochsenbein wrote:
> >
> >> 2.9 : (VOTable)
> >>     -- First the question of the INFO tag: the explanation text must be
> >>        included in a sub-element <DESCRIPTION> in VOTable1.2 ;
> >>        Mark Taylor insisted this should be removed (incompatibility
> >>        with previous version) but on the other hand the modified
> >>        <INFO> gives more possibilities (e.g. is list of options).
> >>        A final decision about this should be taken soon...
> >
> >I have not insisted that the modified usage of INFO included in the
> >VOTable 1.2 WD be removed, but I would like the change to be justified
> >and discussed in public.

Yes I will be at the interop, and I would hope to attend any VOTable
session, timetable clashes permitting.  If there is a VOTable session
it would make sense to discuss this matter there.  However, as I've
said before I would like such discussions to be recorded on the
mailing list, or at least noted on the wiki, for instance as session
minutes, and pointed to from the mailing list, for the benefit of
those who can't attend and for reference in future discussions.

It is the fact that there was no written record of the initial
reasoning for this change that has made the discussion much more
prolonged this time round.

As you know, there has already been some recent discussion of this
point on the mailing list - both Doug and Roy have expressed
concerns related to backwards compatibility.

Mark