[TAP] field name attribute == column name

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Apr 27 15:51:20 PDT 2009

We recently discussed using the name attribute of FIELD to map directly to the
column name, in both directions. In a result table, the name attributes
contain the name(s) or column alias(es). This places a limitation on legal
values for the name attribute: it must be a legal ADQL column name. If a
VOTable is uploaded to a TAP service, the caller can assume the name(s) are
the column names and use them in the query.

However, in other uses of VOTable, the name is used as something to display to
users, which inevitably means that VOTables made by other services and for
other purposes will not generally have name(s) that satisfy the more strict
"ADQL column name requirement".

Example: We are developing a web interface that uses VOTable for content, and
we want both nice display and tables that are usable with TAP. Is there any
way to achieve this? In the general case, VOTables will have to be modified
before upload to TAP (unless they come from another TAP service)... is that
good enough?

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7