[TAP] Summary: data type for column metadata

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Apr 16 10:25:48 PDT 2009

On Thu 2009-04-16T10:02:12 -0700, Patrick Dowler hath writ:
> As mentioned by others, format would be ISO8601; as mentioned by Gerard awhile
> back, we probably need to be specific about which variant of ISO8601 to use and
> it would be nice (although not required) to find a format that most RDBMSs
> accept directly.
>
> In my experience with RDBMSs (sybase, DB2, postgresql) the following is
> correctly interpreted by all:
>
> yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS

With the restriction that most of those RDBMSs will not tolerate
a leap second, so it is not actually possible to encode UTC.
There is no way around this other than to note this exception
in the specification with pretty much these words.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855