[TAP] Summary: data type for column metadata

Gerard gerard.lemson at mpe.mpg.de
Thu Apr 16 09:23:01 PDT 2009

Hi Arnold

> There are catalogs with multiple sets of coordinates; and
> non-standard (by current standards) equinoxes, as Markus pointed out.
>
> Pat's string is not going to cut it in those situations.
> But relying on the human behind the query, as (I think)
> Gerard and Mark are suggesting, is not helpful, either. It
> would mean that any large-scale automated searching or
> cross-matching is ruled out from the start.

ADQL/TAP does not aim to support cross-match yet as far as I am aware.

What you mean by "large-scale automated searching" is unclear to me, at
least insofar that
you think this would not be possible. I can well imagine someone writing a
script that
1. searches the registry to find TAP services that have tables with columns
with UCD=em.opt.U
2. uses the name of these columns to send a query
  select * from <the-table> where <that-column> < 10
to all these services.

This seems to qualify, though it does not contain RA and Dec as a
constraint.
I guess you would argue that to do the same with pos.eq.ra columns would not
be acceptable to astrometrists if you do not know the exact STC metadata.
But photometrists might argue the same for not having exact calibration
information for these em.opt.U columns. I would argue that making such
distinctions is not the task of TAP version 1.
And we seem all to agree that a single STC metadata column would not suffice
in the general case anyway.

Note that for the interpretation of the results users would still need to
understand the schemas of the services that were queried. TAP simply can not
hold all the required metadata to do proper automated science with its
results at the current time.

Btw, maybe I am missing something, but will the POINT datatype not allow
full coordinate system
specification: POINT('ICRS GEOCENTER',25.4, -20.0) etc.
And together with the ADQL DISTANCE and CONTAINS syntax would this not allow
spatial queries that in theory fulfill all your requirements?
Assuming ofcourse that TAP services are really going to publish their data
using the POINT datatype and implement efficient ADQL executors that can
handle this.

> This is messy, but we need to solve it.

Not necessarily in TAP version 1 though, and maybe never in TAP, but in
protocols built on top of it.

Gerard