[TAP] data type for column metadata

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 1 15:41:55 PDT 2009

> Roy started it off with a flame that had no bearing on the case: it
> had already been answered in the first paragraph (excluding the
> introductory sentence) where it says that this is all optional.
> What do you not understand about the word "optional"
Arnold

Not a flame. Simply a suggestion to leave complexities like this to a
version 2. For version 1, surely we can simply let coordinates just be
numbers? Everything in ICRS, get regions running that way. Leave spaces
for version 2 metadata, but then forget it.

I suggest some alternative priorities for version 1:

-- Can we develop a set of Use Cases that a compliant IVOA TAP protocol
is built to be able to handle? Documentation of each can show how to
solve these.

-- Are there levels of compliance to the standard, or is it monolithic?
How is the registry record organized?

-- How can people on this list get access to prototypes, and how can
their experiences get back to developers?

-- What does the standard say about authentication? What can be done
without authentication and what is the transition experience?

-- What does "upload" mean for a table? Permanent URL or just
read-and-delete?

Roy

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670