Finishing the TAP Standard

Keith Noddle ktn at star.le.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 02:58:15 PST 2008

After sterling work by the main editing team and following in the wake
of the agreements reached in Trieste and earlier Interops, I am
delighted with the progress we have made defining the TAP standard. With
the substantive work done, we are now at the stage of tying together the
loose ends and producing a document that reflects the agreements and
spirit of the IVOA decisions.

To bring TAP to REC as quickly as possible, a single editor* will
greatly reduce draft turn-around times, allowing the document to quickly
converge upon its final form. I therefore want us to follow this process:

1. Guy Rixon edits TAP V0.3 in light of feedback received and decisions
taken at previous Interops, producing the first draft of TAP 0.4.

2. The draft is posted to the DAL mailing list and the authors (at
least) provide feedback which Guy incorporates into the draft, whilst
ensuring overall consistency of the specs.

3. We repeat the above (fast iterations are the order of the day) until
we have a document suitable to be presented to the IVOA as a Proposed
Recommendation and get it to RFC.

I encourage everyone  - especially the authors - to get involved and
help get a TAP standard defined ASAP!

Keith.

* Note:

The term "Editor" has two meanings in English. One describes a
management role, the other an editing role. The former has final
responsibility for the content of a publication whilst the latter
"...assists the author(s) prepare a document for publication". It is
this latter definition that I am using when asking Guy to edit the TAP
document. Obviously, this does not exclude Guy, as an author, from
engaging in discussions on the DAL mailing list as appropriate.

Keith Noddle                    Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1894
AstroGrid Project manager       Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311
Dept of Physics & Astronomy     Mobile: +44 (0)7721 926 461
University of Leicester         Skype:  keithnoddle
Leicester                       Email:  ktn at star.le.ac.uk
LE1 7RH, UK                     Web:    http://www.astrogrid.org