TAP/QL Draft published

Miguel Cerviño mcs at iaa.es
Fri May 16 01:25:51 PDT 2008

Hi,

I just take a quick look to the TAP draft.

I have try to read it under a vision of general access to theoretical
models (not only theoretical spectra
like previous SSAP). I think that the document is quite fine :)
However I have some questions/comments:

(just and stylistic one: The version in the PDF says "version 0.02" it
must be "version 0.2" isn't it?)

About service elements: (sect. 2.3):

a) In parameters values (2.3.3): It would be possible to include
"strings" as a parameter value?
I mean, in the case of theoretical models, one of the parameters would
be "class of model"
with serveral string values ("chemical evolution", "estellar
population", "spectra"...) Obviously,
it would be "reparametrized" by a number internally by the service,
but, having in mind the
TSAP esquema, I am worry about how the "client of the service" may
handle it (unless the
VOTable resulting form ParamQuery can be handle like a "non-standard"
HTML form in a select
allowing an "string" to show as a value for the user, and a "number"
as result of the form...
(may be is a trivial question, I do not know).

b) Error response (2.3.6):
If TAP can be used to access theoretical models, it possible to add a
"message response"?
I mean, an error response have a meaning about "something does not
work in the service",
and it will managed in someway in any workflow 8e.j. looking for other
service or whatever)

In the case of theoretical model, it is possible to try "non physical"
queries, or it is needed
some cautions in the resulting data. In this case, it is not an
"error" in the service, but a kind
of "message" that should be taken into account in the use of the data,
and hence it must be
used in any workflow with a different status than an standard "error"
message...

(they are my comments for the moment, I am still reading...)

cheers

	Miguel