DAL/TAP

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 10 11:23:05 PDT 2008

Hi Keith -

I am a bit disappointed as I thought we had agreed in our meeting
last November on the basic form and scope of the TAP interface,
but now we appear to be at risk of starting over yet again.
How much of our agreements from the November meeting (see
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/TapJhu) do we consider to
still be in effect?

Within NVO we have been proceeding as agreed last fall, with the
goal of having a partial draft interface for discussion plus some
prototyping done in time for the interop.  It remains a top priority
for NVO to have progress on a TAP working draft plus usable prototype
services later this year, including both a simple parameter-based
capability (which we could really use now if it was available), as well
as progress an ADQL-based capability with a start at integration of
Grid capabilities (async execution, vospace integration).  Both types
of capabilities are needed for different use-cases, and both are
essential.

A key problem with having two separate interfaces is that, even for
an ADQL-based interface, it will still be desirable to have a simple
table metadata query capability.  Since the exact same table metadata
is being queried in both cases, it would be unfortunate to have a
different approach and interface for querying table metadata for the
parameter and QL-based interfaces (we had exhaustive discussions of
this issue and the associated TAP schema in our November meeting
as detailed at the link above).  If we include a common, simple
parameter-based mechanism and associated TAP schema for table metadata
queries in the "TAP/QL" interface, then we are right back to what we
agreed last fall, with ADQL and parameter-based queries within the
same fully-scoped interface.

One thing I do agree with is that prototyping of the advanced
Grid-enabled, ADQL-based table query capability can proceed largely
in parallel with use of a simpler parameter-based query capability for
both table data and metadata queries.  It would be unfortunate though
to have these develop as two separate service interfaces - I think
that would merely indicate failure to agree within the IVOA on a TAP
interface, with two groups instead going off in different directions.

A possible compromise here which has some of the characteristics of
your two-track approach might be to proceed towards and integrated
TAP interface as we discussed last fall, focusing initially on
synchronous parameter-based table data and metadata queries, while
prototyping asynchronous ADQL-based queries with VOSpace integration
as a parallel effort.  The goal would be to standardize the basic
interface and capability for simpler parameter-based table data and
metadata queries capabilities as soon as possible, so that we can
all begin using this, folding in the ADQL and Grid capabilities later
once this technology is sufficiently advanced.

"TAP V1.0" would support parameter-based table data and metadata
queries, possibly with prototype support for ADQL, and "TAP V2.0"
would add all the advanced capabilities.  We would all proceed with
prototyping of the ADQL/Grid capabilities beginning this year, but
would not attempt to finalize this portion of the interface until
prototyping is further along.  This would still provide the two-track
approach you describe, but with a more clearly defined path toward
getting to TAP V2.0.   Does that sound workable?

	- Doug