call for presentations at the Data Model sessions in Cambridge , September 2007

Alberto Conti aconti at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 23 03:30:56 PST 2008

>> for the part of VO which supports direct interaction with science
>> data by users.  I think this is a much more important consideration
>> for VO than support for advanced visualization, hence this is what
>> should drive how we represent science data to client applications.
>> We want to support advanced visualization, but that is secondary.
>
> Yes indeed, and we want to avoid re-inventing the wheel.  We want
> to interface with advanced tools, not re-write them if possible,
I must say I really don't understand. We are not reinventing
anything. We are just coming to the realization that there is a
better transport mechanism that interconnects with large
visualization engines. VOTable is just no cutting it. No astronomer I
know want to ever see a VOTable and I think VO is indeed moving in
the direction of "hiding" VOTables via smart XSLT transformations
developed for the Hubble Legacy Archive.

> However, I could not try and use these images to, say, estimate
> photometric redshifts!
not now, let's wait a few years to see where it takes us. I have a
much more optimistic view, perhaps an utopian view of where we can go.

> However the most powerful argument is favour of VOTable is the
> ability to retain metadata including pointers to more detailed
> information, as Doug implied above.

Let's demystify this: KML *does* support metadata. My argument is
that KML can do better. WWT's standard might do it even better.

Time will tell.

I'll end this thread, it seems that we have all expressed our views.
Thanks.

Ciao,
Alberto

> cheers
>
> Anita

> - - -
>
> Dr. A.M.S. Richards, AstroGrid Astronomer,
> Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, Alan Turing Building,
> University of Manchester, M13 9PL
> +44 (0)161 275 4124
> and
> MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, Jodrell Bank Observatory, Cheshire
> SK11 9DL, U.K. +44 (0)1477 571321 (tel) 571618 (fax)

Dr Alberto Conti
Community Missions Office
Space Telescope Science Institute
contact | tel: 410-338-4534 | aim: wscience