testing a service activity

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu Feb 28 06:00:08 PST 2008

The Web site Ray mentions is supplemented by another that gives results
for any VO service.
It's described at
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/vo/monitor/get_status_help.html.  It uses
the results of the same tests that are used for the monitor display.

As Ray mentioned we don't check every service, but we try to check
representative samples
of services from each data provider.  You can check any service based
upon its IVO identifier
as, e.g.,

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/vo/monitor/get_status.pl?id=ivo://CDS/simbad
and the site  will respond:

 We have checked that service explicitly, here's its status
 We've checked similar services, here is their status
 We don't know anything about this service.

If you find the last, we'd be interested in adding the service to the
list we check.  Since we're trying
to do these checks reasonably often (~ hourly) we don't want to have to
check all 500 HEASARC
services (or 10,000 Vizier ones) each time, but the intent is to check
examples from all data providers.

We recognize that this a bit of a stopgap -- the underlying protocols
should provide this mechanism,
but as yet they do not.

    Regards,
    Tom McGlynn