SSAP clients for theoretical spectra

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 15 20:50:26 PDT 2007

Hi Petr -

POS should not be a problem with SSA (or other future DAL interfaces
as currently planned); POS queries are no longer required.  While the
service *is* required to support POS, TIME, BAND, the client is *not*
required to use these parameters in a query, and can query on other
parameters if the service supports it.

TARGETNAME can be useful for queries, but for theory data such as
you describe the problem will be lack of standardization.  Little has
been done as yet to standardize queries for theory data.  Specifying
the parameters of the model, and dynamically generating or selecting
pregenerated data is a pretty good start though.

> (The only problem is last sentence of 4.1.2.8 : "if both TARGETNAME and POS
> are specified, both must satisfy the query for a candidate object to be
> matched" - what positions should be given in my spectra of Sirius to satisfy
> the resolver in Simbad ?

You, the user, control the query.  If you specify both TARGETNAME and
POS, both have to be satisfied by the service, which is just doing
what you tell it to do.  If this is not what you want, specify only
one or the other, or increase the SIZE, and refine the query on the
client side with more sophisticated analysis.

	- Doug