TAP information schema

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 02:29:54 PDT 2007

Doug,

the vos:// URI does not give the service endpoint directly. You need to look
it up in the registry or get it by some other means, like maybe a shared
catalogue.

This is deliberate. We want the data-node URIs to be extremely stable, s.t.
the data may be rearchived by without changing the names. If we embed the
endpoint of the service in the name, then this is impossible.

Further, one can imagine a VOSpace that has multiple endpoints on different
hosts, for fail-over. We can do this in VOSI and in the registry, but it's
hard to embed multiple endpoints in a single URI.

Cheers,
Guy

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523