TAP information schema

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 11 17:03:20 PDT 2007

On 2007-10-11 16:05, Doug Tody wrote:
>> Pat wrote:
> > For the VOSpace example, if I was implementing that I would most
> > likely make vospace a database (for storage allocation purposes),
> > require authentication, and give each user implicit schema
> > creation privaledge. Then the uploaded VOtable would be known as
> > vospace.$user.$tableName and I would have to do minimal work to make
> > that happen and protect one user's tables from another.
>
> So what do you do with MySQL (and probably others) where there is
> only one catalog?  As we would like to be able to use ADQL to access
> both vospace tables and data tables in the same query, the only option
> (other than brute force copying tables) is to implement the vospace with
> a schema ("database" in MySQL).

Well, that is the issue - some people use one catalog and multiple schemata
and others use multiple catalog and default or implicit (user) schemata. We
have to accomodate both because both are in use and required in one system or
another. What I meant was "if  I was implementing VOSpace on top of a db that
supported multiple of each" (eg DB2 and sybase here). If it is MySQL
underneath then the implementor has no choice but to use schemata to separate
things (either a vospace schema and manually separate tables, or a bunch of
schemata nominally managed by one VOSpace service. Either is doable. I just
don't think we can have the TAP metadata dictate which one someone choses, so
we have to ultimately (maybe not now) expose catalog, schema, and table
concepts.

Anyway, I don't think we disagree. If this was the future ultra magic version
of VOQL with XQueryMagic and ZOntologyMapper then we could hide stuff, but
ADQL is mostly SQL and that means we can't hide stuff without being bitten
later on. Anyone who wants to hide these details can do so by telling the
user one thing (eg giving them unique table names) and re-writing the query
to something else, but many arguments have been made that one should not have
to do this and should in theory be able to more or less pass the query
through with minor syntactic massaging.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre   | Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
National Research Council Canada | Conseil national de recherches Canada
Government of Canada                  | Gouvernement du Canada
5071 West Saanich Road               | 5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria, BC                                  | Victoria (C.-B.)