TAP information schema

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 5 08:05:39 PDT 2007

Hi Doug,

I noticed that your schema marked some things as required; I take it that
the other items are optional (always a reassuring notion).  I'm curious,
though, how client knows what what columns are available for an IS query.
Did you have a scenario in mind?

Knowing nothing to start with, I can imagine that the client would send a
trivial "select *" kind of query and then analyze the header (although
this is not much different from analyzing a FORMAT=METADATA query ;-)
Alternatively, the standard might instead make all columns required, but
possibly empty.  The intent is that all possilbe would in practice be
queriable and no initial meta-meta query would be necessary.

cheers,
Ray