IVOA Footprint Service Protocol

Luigi Paioro luigi at lambrate.inaf.it
Mon Nov 12 01:39:38 PST 2007

Dear Roy,

several months ago I looked for a way to describe rendered regions
within the DART project (poster P3.14 at ADASS 2007), in particular for
the XMM-LSS survey master catalog site [1]. More or less I was looking
for a rendered regions model (in XML) and a service interface to recover
them (using HTTP GET, SOAP or whatever).

At that time the VOTable STC sub-format [2] (from Aladin group) wasn't a
VO standard yet and the only alternative was the JHU footprint service
(Budavari et al.) that provided a native serialization format and the
STC serialization format.

Then I thought to build up a new rendered regions format [3] extending
the STC schema (by A. Rots) just for the DART project in order to suite
my needs.

Unluckily I've not had time to improve the development of this rendered
regions service with a prototype within the DART project, and since then
a great work has been done by the Aladin team et al. By now, I think
that for a future development of DART I'll adopt the VO standard [3],
but for the sake of discussion, I present you my work in this mail.

What you can find there [3] are:

* regions-v0.1.xsd: regions v0.1 schema, extends STC v1.30 schema
* cdfs.xml: contains a sample catalog in VOTable format
* regions-example.xml: example of region file, with a special xlink to a
row of the cdfs.xml VOTable; useful to associate a shape to an object in
a VOTable)
* jaxb-api-bin/, jaxb-api-src/: sources, classes and jar file generated
with JAXB over regions-v0.1.xsd and stc-1.30.xsd)

Best regards.

Luigi

[1] http://cosmos.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lssadmin/Website/LSS/
[2] http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/Footprint.html
[3] http://cosmos.iasf-milano.inaf.it/luigi/projects/vo/regions/v0.1/

--

Luigi Paioro
INAF - Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica

IASF Milano
Via Bassini 15, I-20133 Milano, Italy
E-mail: luigi at lambrate.inaf.it
Phone : (+39) 02 23 699 470