gzipped images in SIAP 1.0

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed May 30 22:42:27 PDT 2007

On Wed 2007-05-23T07:01:13 -0700, Rob Seaman hath writ:
> "Should be principally intended"?  This is completely unconstraining
> - subjunctive conditional good intentions.  I'll have to remember
> that for my next performance review...

As Otto von Bismarck said, this is like law, and law is like sausage.

We knew what we were doing.  An RFC can never be changed, but the FITS
community and VO were not prepared to make a firmer statement.  The
alternative was to delay claiming the MIME namespace until, well, some
future time when maybe the FITS community will have finished doing its
internal homework.  As things stand the IESG/IETF/IANA have signed off
and let us have the top level namespace based on the chain of
authority passing down through the IAU.  They presume we know what the
FITS community knows what it's doing and has valid processes for
making decisions, the rest is up to us.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855