gzipped images in SIAP 1.0

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed May 23 04:04:22 PDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Norman Gray wrote:

> On 2007 May 23 , at 01.24, Mark Taylor wrote:
>
>> However, ignoring the headers altogether and following Tom's advice to look
>> at the magic
>> numbers is almost certainly a better idea: more reliable (the headers might
>> be wrong) and probably easier.
>
> Myself, I would disagree with this, on public-interest grounds.
>
> If a tool responds to breakage by saying `I know what you mean', then the
> service in question is allowed to continue being broken.  That diminishes the
> utility of the MIME type system, and forces every other client to guess too.
> If a tool -- especially a tool with the ubiquity and authority of Topcat --
> simply reports that the service is broken, and how[1], then the service
> maintainers will be forced to fix their broken service, albeit at the cost of
> some short-term irritation.

I take your point, but ...

> Postel's law is an engineering heuristic, not an architectural principle.

... a tool such as Topcat is a bit of engineering rather than an
architectural component.

Probably the best thing for a user-directed application (rather than,
say, a validation service) to do is to work out how the data is really
encoded in the most reliable way (in this case magic numbers work well)
and log a warning if the MIME/HTTP tagging is inconsistent with this,
encouraging the user to contact the service about it.