gzipped images in SIAP 1.0

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed May 23 02:42:40 PDT 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Rob Seaman wrote:

> On May 22, 2007, at 11:50 AM, Steve Allen wrote:
>
>>> A tile compressed file is a legal FITS bintable.
>>
>> Unfortunately in the purely FITS world "legal" has no mechanism for
>> proceeding to "comprehensible".
>
> The mechanism is the same as for the VO world:  interoperable prototypes.
> Any application layered on CFITSIO already supports FITS tile compression
> transparently.  In that case, calling it an image/fits would be perfectly
> correct.

RFC4047 says:

    A FITS file described with the media type "image/fits" SHOULD be
    principally intended to communicate the single data array in the
    PHDU.

as I understand it tile-compressed FITS images are stored in a BINTABLE
extension (hence not the PHDU), so they should properly be described
as application/fits and not image/fits.