gzipped images in SIAP 1.0

Thomas McGlynn tam at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue May 22 08:29:16 PDT 2007

Hi Roy,

I'm not sure I agree with this summary.  The best solution
does not involve the SIA protocol at all.  A user with
an SIA service that provides gzip compressed data would return
a URL of the form http://host/dir/xx.fits.gz but should
in principle provide HTTP headers indicating a content type
of FITS and a content encode of GZIP compressed.  I don't
know if and how this is set for standard HTTP servers like Apache
but I suspect it can be done.  I don't know if it typically <is> done.
For CGI generated data this is very easy to do.

Nor do I think tile-compressed data is a significant issue.  I don't believe
usage is widespread, and there is always a danger that a given
provider may supply a data type that the reader cannot handle.
E.g., I imagine that many users would have trouble reading
a BITPIX=64 image even though I think that's further along the
standards track than tiled compression.

	Tom