New version of VO Support Interfaces: v0.26

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Wed May 9 00:38:26 PDT 2007

On 09.05.2007, at 00:02, Ray Plante wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 8 May 2007, Aurelien Stebe wrote:
>> We consider 3 different types of Metadata :
>> - Resource Metadata : the "curation" and "content" elements of
>> VOResource (creator, contact, description, subjects, ...)
>> - Service Metadata : the "capability" element of VOResource (URL
>> endpoint, service type, max records, ...)
>> - Table / IO Metadata : the "catalog" and "param" elements of
>> VOResource (table/column name, UCD, uType, input parameters, output
>> fields, ...)
>
> I appreciated this summary and essentially agree with Aurelien's
> assessment.  In particular, he argues that table metadata should be
> gotten from the service, which supports my call (on the other
> thread ;-) for a common method for retrieve table metadata direct
> from the service.

What it does not address it the terrible inefficiency of a client
having to query every table service even to be able to select the
services to enable an end user query of the style "I want to run a
query over all tables that have a redshift column", which, as far as
I am concerned, is the main motivation for "fine-grained" registries.

You could invent a specific service that does cache all table
metadata and allow easy selection of services - sort of what Vizier
does, only slightly less functional as the service needs only to
return the service ivoa ids and table metadata, rather than be able
to return the actual data.

Certainly the TAP group should not deprecate the placing of table
metadata in the registry without simultaneously defining a Table
Metadata registry service - otherwise they will severely decrease the
efficiency/speed of the VO as a grid.

In my opinion it would be less effort (design,  implementation,
deployment) to just allow this feature to be present in the current
registry records rather than defining another service.

Paul Harrison
ESO Garching
www.eso.org