New version of VO Support Interfaces: v0.26

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon May 7 16:21:18 PDT 2007

Hi Roy -

My view is that we have to be careful to keep the system modular,
and avoid unnecessary interdependencies which make it difficult
to do anything without exposure to multiple parts of the system.
To publish data, it should be possible for a user to be able to
implement and test a data service stand-alone, ideally by reading
only one document, the service specification (no STC, no Registry
internals or schemas, possibly not even a VOTable spec if a library
is used).  The "minimally compliant" version of the service needs to
be kept simple enough to make it a reasonable job to implement with
this approach, much as SIA is now.  Completeness and robustness will
probably always be a problem with this approach however.

To go to the next level we will need interoperable service frameworks
that provide all the "recommended" and advanced capabilities in
a rigorous and robust fashion, largely transparent to the service
implementor.  The user would pick one of the user-oriented frameworks
as the basis for their service, and would only need to add the
"business logic" required to interface to their data.  This should
still be about as easy overall, as the minimal case described above.
Once we get to this level, all the advanced capabilities such as
ADQL, asynchronous operations, complex regions, VOSpace, etc.,
become mainly an issue internal to the IVOA (a nontrivial issue in
itself as things become more complex), and are largely transparent
to the user-developer.

I think ultimately we have to go this route to have a useful system.

 	- Doug