RFC initiated for Simple Spectral Access protocol

Markus Dolensky Markus.Dolensky at eso.org
Mon Jun 25 06:53:36 PDT 2007

Dear Jesus, dear Co-authors,

Let me remind us of the history of a couple of issues:

The argument about DM mediation led to a hot debate back at the Kyoto meeting
because back then it was proposed as a requirement to return DM compliant data.

Many compromises were made to move on such as allowing also native data, to
split out the DM part into a separte document to make it more clear what it is
about and to extend the author list considerably (incl. ESAC). Hence, I stay
away from going deeper on that aspect of DM mediation as editor of the SSA IF
since how to serialize spectra is covered in the DM document.

FORMAT=METADATA was put back into the document as result of the recent Beijing
meeting. Please be more specific what is missing given that the mechanism is
inherited from SIA. This was also understood as an effort to protect already
invested effort into existing services.

Cheers,
Markus