RFC initiated for Simple Spectral Access protocol

Jesus Salgado Jesus.Salgado at sciops.esa.int
Fri Jun 22 08:41:50 PDT 2007

Dear Doug,

I fully agree with the fact that SSA can/should not impose any output
format. I (with my VOSpec developer hat) would prefer to have a single
format so the implementation is easier in the client but We (with my
data provider hat) cannot accept I am forced to change to a format that,
for my particular project/archive, it is not the better one to
characterize my data.

In fact, all the data producers consider their format is the optimal for
their data and, even when some could consider the SED data model (both
XML or FITS serialization) better, I do not know any data producer who
share this opinion. On the other hand, the resources necessary to
transform the legacy/original format to the SED DM one could result in
many data providers never wanting to be part of the VO effort.

So, in my opinion, we should live with legacy/native data and we should
add the necessary info in the SSA VOTable output to enable a VO
application to deal with this format (if possible)

This is why, in case we have a native format referenced in the SSA
output, some fields should be set as compulsory for foreign data, i.e.

Dataset.SSA.SpectralAxis
Dataset.SSA.FluxAxis
(WARNING! The previous two fields which define the columns where the
spectral coordinate and the flux are stored have disappeared from the
SSAP spec 0.97 (they are in version 0.91)! We assume this is by mistake)

(Note: In case it is assumed the VO client is forced to get the project
datamodel from Dataset.DataModel and then, in some way, understand the
structure of the file to allow the data parsing, etc., that would open
another debate)

Dataset.SpectralSI
Dataset.FluxSI

Using this very basic information we have been able to parse native data
from ~18 different data providers without major effort.

Best Regards,
Jesus

--
Jesus J. Salgado

ESAC Science Archive Team
e-mail: Jesus.Salgado at sciops.esa.int
Tel + 34 91 8131271

European Space Agency/European Space Astronomy Centre
VILLAFRANCA Satellites Tracking Station
P.O. Box 78
E-28691 Villanueva de la Cañada
MADRID - SPAIN

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.