Time series data in VOEvent

Anita M. S. Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 08:05:45 PDT 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Frederic V. Hessman wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2007, at 3:49 pm, Steve Allen wrote:
>> Please don't use adjectives "heliocentric" or HJD anymore.
>> Everything IAU-approved is currently "barycentric".
>
> It may be "IAU-approved", but "barycentric" is not unambiguous: a
> "barycenter" is simply w.r.t. SOME (but not any particular) center-of-mass,
> so if you want the Solar System we'll have to come up with something like
>
> 	ucd="time.julian;time.barycentric;SolarSystem"
>
> (note that NONE of these are UCD1+).   The IAU may not used "HJD" anymore,
> but I know zillions of astronomers who do ;-)
>
> Rick

Yes, we have to be careful not to get confused between what we might be
trying to enforce as journal editors, supervisors/students, etc. etc., and
what the VO should do.  The VO should describe data as accurately as
necessary - just about everything possible is in STC, so it isn't hard to
figure out what to use.  If significant data use a heliocentric time frame
then we need to know what it is.  I don't know what is worse, to
mistakenly thnk that there are not data for something because the VO would
not publish data in the 'wrong' coordinate frame, or if the VO makes an
assumption that everything is in our favourite frame when in fact it's in
something different.  I am a scrupulous J2000, SI user as approved by the
IAU, but I guarantee that if I talk about a magnetic field in Tesla or a
number density in m-3, but did not specify the units, most astronomers
over 30 think I mean Gauss and cm-3.

We also run into possible conversion problems - I don't know if this
applies to time, so the VOEvent people can probably ignor the rest of this
para, but I am often faced with converting Heliocentric velocities into
VLSR, or B1950 positions into J2000.  But in both cases you need to know
the epoch of observation which is rarely available for old data, if you
want to be fully accurate.  A rule of thumb conversion is good enough for
registry searches but the actual data returned should be in the original
units unless the user specifies otherwise  - and only converted if the VO
can do it accurately to within the precisioin of the data (e.g. for IRAS,
the epoch is less important than for VLBI...)

cheers

Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AstroGrid Astronomer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).