Time series data

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 11 09:16:56 PDT 2007

Hi Rob (and all you VOEvent guys) -

Can you say a bit more please about the VOEvent/HTN use-case where
time series data is concerned.

I gather you want to embed a time series observation directly within a
VOEvent packet - is this the case?  If so why - is such an observation
taken in real time when the event is detected?  If so, is this sort
of thing limited to time series, or could other forms of data be of
interest as well?

I should think another related use-case would be to follow up on
a VOEvent by issuing a query to an unrelated data service to find
time series or other data of interest on the object pointed to by
the VOEvent.  If so, a common solution might be desirable.

While up to a point one might want to integrate some observational
data directly into the VOEvent, eventually use-cases such as these
are likely to become complex enough that it will be desirable to
encapsulate the object instances so that they can be manipulated by
reusable code that knows nothing about VOEvent.  In short I think
there may be an architectural question here which needs more thought,
before deciding upon the best way to approach this.

	- Doug