CreatorDID

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 1 09:00:52 PDT 2007

Hi Gerard -

If you have any connection to the project which produces the data,
encourage them to assign a unique CreatorDID to datasets as they
are produced.  For older data, or replicated data which one does not
control, this may not be possible, and the CreatorDID should be omitted.
Note though, that it is always possible for the publisher of the data
to assign a PublisherDID, which is unique within the local address space
of the publisher.

While it is recognized that at present it will often not be possible to
assign a CreatorDID, part of the motivation for defining CreatorDID is to
encourage data producers to assign these values so that in the future we
can more easily manage capabilities such as replication and description
of provenance.  To define a CreatorDID, the data creator needs to register
an authority ID, then they can assign unique identifiers.

	- Doug