SSA working draft (fwd)

Randall Thompson rthomp at stsci.edu
Thu Oct 26 08:30:09 PDT 2006

Hi Doug,
    Having valid examples would be a nice "detail" to have
available before beginning test implementations. I have
always found information in the examples that is not
contained elsewhere.  In any case, here are a few more
comments. Some may also be considered details, but I
did leave out comments regarding typos and references
to non-existent sections.

UNITS - Would it be useful to follow the units conventions
described in the OGIP 93-001 document as is done in the
SDM paper?

REQUEST - I would still like to see a default value
(e.g., "queryData") defined for REQUEST. I suspect the
queryData operation will comprise the majority of SSA
requests and defining a default value  should not conflict
with adding any additional values in the future.
This would allow SSA requests to be as simple as:
http://www.myvo.org/ssa?POS=22.4,17.2
By not allowing a default, service providers will presumably
be expected to return some sort of annoying error message
if REQUEST is not included.

APERTURE - It appears this parameter has been redefined
and no longer applies to existing spectral data. If it is referring
to a numerical extraction slit however, a rectangular shape
would still seem a reasonable option.

COMPRESS - Are there any restrictions in the types of
comrpessions to be allowed (e.g., is hcompress)?

Randy